Monday, March 30, 2009

Gilded Chrysanthemum Cake


Just wanted to share the latest cake I did for a friend's 30th Birthday. I chose the theme of spring and wanted to do a beautiful embroidered kind of look (without using brush embroidery). After going through many choices of flowers, I decided to go with the Chrysanthemum, particularly the variety referred to as "Football mums". And yes, mums are often depicted as fall flowers, but they are actually available year-round, and great weather-hardy flower. To be honest I had been thinking of doing a cake with mums ever since I saw "The Curse of the Golden Flower" (pretty much useless as a movie but visually stunning) and saw the beautiful gold chrysanthemum embroidery the queen was doing on all those veils. For flavors, I made a hazelnut frangelico cake, filled with light and sprightly flair of a lemon mousseline and butter cream.




No comments: